I have just been asked a question from a mate of mine and thought others might like to hear the answer.
Just wondering what your ideas are for online learning resources and how to make them a sought after commodity? #### has an immense library of “stuff” but no one goes there…
Without going into the pros and cons of elearning as a vehicle, I put together the following response. They are more around the change, motivation and engagement than the actual material itself.
One thing and two ideas
The thing is motivation. You need to think about what motivates people in the organisation. Importantly: this is not an assumption made by HR people or Managers. You have to ask the people.
Now the two ideas.
- If they have a development plan then showing them how the courseware helps them achieve that can be a motivator.
- Make it a competition.
- Make it fun.
- Score points.
- Have a variety of leaderboards.
- Make up silly awards. E.g. Most courses taken on a train; completed a sequence ( full house, straight, royal flush etc…)
- Or you have to build up ‘credits’ to ‘level up’.
- Allow people to exchange credits.
- Make sure people can get to the stuff offsite.
- This allows them to fill in time anywhere with a learning activity.
- Make it convenient.
4. Go viral
- Constrain access.
- Go for scarcity.
- You can only do a course by being invited by a colleague or earning credits.
- Allow people to recommend courseware to colleagues.
As you noticed, I can’t count. What can I say? I’m an ideas person.
What have you done to improve the takeup?