I was in Melbourne today to start off a few days of workshops, meetings and KM Roundtable.
Today it was an afternoon with Nancy White and a few dozen members of the KM Roundtable.
Key points included:
- There was a moment of clarity around the bands of Individual, Community and Network and some good discussion around the difference between communities and networks.
- Triangulation in looking at who and what you need (internal and external) to have on board to get things changed in an organisation.
- Understanding that you design for groups, that will be experienced as individuals
- Group Polarities:
- Togetherness - Separateness
- Participation - Reification
- Individual - Group
- A fantastic spider diagram where you can look at the activities of a community that included dimensions of:
- Access to expertise
- Community cultivation
- Individual participation
- Content publishing
- Open-ended conversation
Nancy used a set of cards in some of her activities to break the ice and spark conversation. They are the IDEO Method Cards. A set of 51 cards that have an image on one side and the description of a creative activity on the other.
I am still not sure why they use the word reification.
We have been designing a scorecard for CoP health. There was plenty of stuff to consider and I am asking our librarian to get a copy of the book as well as getting one for myself.